I feel like a stereotype right now, catching the train and writing a blog entry. I should either be here, or else sat in a coffee shop, writing as I watch the people pass by. Instead, I get to watch the hills, fields and trees roll by as the train speeds along. I try not to think about how fast we’re moving. Don’t think too much, Sara-Kate, you’ll just make yourself anxious. You don’t need to be. It’s almost impossible, having a science mind, to not think about the mechanics of moving along at this speed. It is both awesome and terrifying. It could all go wrong in seconds.
Just like life really, it’s easy to overthink things and expect everything to go wrong. And yet, as in the bible it says, “Who of you by worrying can add an hour to your life?” If anything, worrying will only shorten your lifespan. If things are going to go pear shaped, then that’s going to happen whether or not you worry, so you may as well train yourself to not worry. :)
Easier said than done though, isn’t it! When I catch myself worrying, and overthinking something there are two outcomes: either I water that ‘seed’ of doubt and it grows, or I shut it down by asking another person if I am thinking rationally ( more often than not, I am not ;) ) or look in the bible for some encouragement to ease my troubled mind.
How often do we torture ourselves unnecessarily? We’re taught that we don’t deserve happiness, only the best of us do. And yet, who amongst us is really all that good. Jesus didn’t even want people calling him ‘good’, or righteous, saying that only God is good. And if Jesus, who was a pretty good man didn’t even count himself as good, maybe we should re-evaluate our definition of ‘good’. Everyone deserves happiness because we are each beautifully made in the image of God. I wish I could see each person, myself included, as God sees us. Then I could love myself fully. Even the not so great bits of me that I like to hide from everyone.
I like to think that God looks at me radically differently to how I like to look at myself. Maybe he’d say some of these things:
“This is my beautiful daughter, you see all these scars that she’s ashamed to tell people about, well she made it through all that rubbish. She made it. She’s such a strong warrior. I just wish she’d realised at those moments that I was right there with her, and she never has to fight alone”
“Wow! How incredible is my girl! She has so many talents, and many that she has yet to discover! How exciting it is to go on this journey with her! She’s so awesome.”
“Oh, I love my little girl so much! She has such a big heart for other people and through her I am and I will reach so many people and touch their hearts, because she loves them so much, as I do!”
“I’m so proud of Sara-Kate, she loves me although she sometimes loses her focus because she has so much energy and enthusiasm for life. Together we’ll learn how she can focus her energy better. We’ll get there. :) “
You know, in the bible God says these kind of things about me and you, he just loves you so much! :D I’ll finish with some examples for you to tell yourself when you’re having a bad day, or a good day! ^_^
- And I am convinced that nothing can separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today not our worries about tomorrow-not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or the earth below- indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)
- But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God (John 1:12)
- Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvellous-how well I know it! (Psalm 139:14)
- For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. (Ephesians 2:10)
- You didn’t choose me, I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. (John 15:16)
God bless you! :) xoxo